During December, the Greens were aerated as planned to a depth of 8 inches. We will continue an aeration programme throughout the winter months to prepare the course. With the excessive rainfall, this will assist with reducing flooding and compaction, especially when there is a frost. Aeration continues to help with growth, whilst maintaining the quality as well.
In addition to the aeration, the fairways were sprayed with Iron and Ammonium Sulphate to give more colour and to help prevent further moss growth. Bunker surrounds have been marked ‘ground under repair’ and are ready for work starting in the upcoming weeks. In addition to the bunker work, Tees and Collars will be aerated over the next couple of weeks.
Over the last few weeks there has been a lot more hand mowing to reduce wear and compaction.
Looking into the year ahead tree work will start, however this is dependent on weather.
Andy Wild – Our Golf professional
Having worked as a coach for over 35 years, I have had the pleasure of coaching and developing golf for players of all ability and ages.
In the spirit of growing the game of golf and providing greater access to golf for children the local community, the Club, working in partnership with our new Club Captain, Khayyam Aslam will be aspiring to take junior golf to the next level in 2020.
Our Aspirations include:
- Extra sessions on the golf course on Sunday afternoons
- Having a number of fully vetted (DBS checked) volunteers to support junior coaching
- Improving the greens on the practice ground so the can be used as a par three course
- Having 10 juniors with official handicaps
- Investigate the participation in a local junior league
- Introduce a parent / child competition
- Offering the local Cubs & Beavers groups an opportunity to try out golf
- Running two, one week, Summer Golf Camps over the school summer holidays
I coach juniors on Saturday mornings, from 10am through to 1pm, if you have a child or grandchild and want to introduce them this great game of golf, please let me know and bring them along for a free trial session.
If you would like to know more about getting involved or if you have ideas to share, please speak to Khayyam or myself!
Thanks in advance for your support!